Gran Canaria, Luther and the middle class.
My maternal grandparents were some farmers inside semi Gran Canaria who emigrated to Cuba looking for a better future for their children. My grandparents built their house with a roof of palm trees in the central area of \u200b\u200bthat island and engaged in farming until they had the strength to deal with animals, but their five children have reached the sixth grade. The grandparents were very simple people, they could write and were able to interpret as sober as a reading of the Gospels. My parents graduated from high school at night studying. They worked like dogs, my father and my mother as rail and postal clerk that I finished college in Pinar del Río. I, well I have two college degrees, I can move around Europe without an interpreter, eat in restaurants three forks, and acknowledge to me the theological legacy of Trinity College and the Evangelical Seminary of Theology Kingdom Madrid.
Protestantism of which I am heir emerged in the emerging class burgesa Germany. Luther's parents were from a mining family coming over. Also quickly spread to all classes: the nobility who wanted independence from the Emperor and the Pope, and the working classes and peasants who began to read and write. Wherever Protestantism comes, is always associated with teaching, and freedom of conscience. So not be surprised if there is any middle class committed to justice and freedom. Thus the question: Is my church a church for the middle class? Would have to answer yes. A qualified yes.
But now comes what I lose sleep. If my church is ready and able to work with the middle class of this country why Sunday is so much empty space in my hood? Why do people without college degrees or they opt for another model ecclesiological not so academic? Could it be that our discourse is so elitist, so complex, so so, not enough people like my grandparents and my grandparents?
Why, if Jesus came down to the levels of the peasants and the marginalized and sat at the table with my church they can not do? Does the time of the church and theologically correct class is running?
0 comments:
Post a Comment